As the name implies, the Religion & Culture Portfolio Committee addresses one of the most fundamental objectives of the Shree Pretoria Hindu Seva Samaj, namely that of fostering the rich cultural and religious heritage of the Gujarati community of Pretoria.
More specifically, this portfolio is responsible for the following:
· Appointment and management of the services of the Hindu priest (Pujari). The resident Pujari presides over all official religious and cultural events organised by the Samaj. In addition, he serves the wider community by officiating at weddings, funerals and other significant rituals and ceremonies associated with the Hindu faith;
· Inviting prominent religious personalities to deliver spiritual discourses to the public;
· Organising major religious festivals that are deemed to be central to the Hindu faith, such as Holi, Ram Naumi, Maha Shivratri, Hanuman Jayanti, Krishna Jayanti, Shravan, Shivratri, Diwali, Gujarati New Year and so forth; and
· Printing of yearly religious calendar
· Managing Sunday morning services at the Samaj Mandir from 10:00 to 12:00
· In general, ensuring all the religious and cultural needs of the community are planned for and addressed.